tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 21:11:35 1995

Re: Coffee

On Thu, 18 May 1995, ~mark wrote:
> Yes.  Very good point.  You're looking for a Klingon word for "Latte"?
> What, pray tell, is the *ENGLISH* word for that coffee?  There isn't one.
> We're quite content to use the Italian, since that conjures up the right
> meanings for us.  So why break our heads to come up with something that
> won't work in Klingon?

Let's not forget that this subject came up because a coffee shop wants a
tlhIngan menu.  It would be a dull menu if it looked exactly like the
English menu.  I'm in favour of doing something with the language for
them.  And if it isn't understood by everyone, so what.  Although many
here know what latte is, there are plenty of others who are clueless.  If
we are going to do something like transliterate latte then we should make
sure to indicate that it's some type of coffee:  la'tey qa'vIn.
Although, my favourite is:  qa'vIn chIS.

janSIy

Back to archive top level