tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 19 13:11:25 1995

Re: Re[3]: Klingons conquer Worlds Chat (sort of...)

maSqa':
> I tried it, the computer said it couldn't resolve mush.kli.org 2218.
> I tried it without the 2218 and ended up at Lupine.org, Whispering
> Wolf Productions. It wanted a password, so I left. I checked in the
> last HolQeD, it said to try keve.kli.org 2218. So I did. Same thing.
> I took the 2218 off and ended up at Lupine again! What am I doing
> wrong?

david barron:
> ~mark can answer better than I but, no, you were doing it correctly.
> The machine and site is owned by WW productions.

Apparently "telnet keve.kli.org 2218" is NOT correct for his system.
Depending on the details of the telnet program, one might be required
to put a "-p" before the port number, or to give the site name and
port number in response to prompts, or something else entirely.  In
a GUI environment like Windows or a Macintosh, the port number might
have to be given in a setup dialog.

The important thing here is that "keve.kli.org" is the name of the
system with the MUSH server, and "2218" is the telnet port number.
You need to tell your telnet program these two things somehow.