tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 20 08:38:44 1995

Re: Re[3]: Klingons conquer Worlds Chat (sort of...)

>Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 12:12:11 -0800
>From: David Barron <[email protected]>

>> I tried it without the 2218 and ended up at Lupine.org, Whispering
>> Wolf Productions. It wanted a password, so I left. I checked in the
>> last HolQeD, it said to try keve.kli.org 2218. So I did. Same thing.
>> I took the 2218 off and ended up at Lupine again! What am I doing
>> wrong?
>>

>~mark can answer better than I but, no, you were doing it correctly.
>The machine and site is owned by WW productions.

Not that it matters, since you *did* manage to get there, but just so folks
are less mystified:

The keve.kli.org machine is the same as kli.org, and the same as
www.kli.org, and as ftp.kli.org.  Currently they're all the same machine,
just with different names so as to be consistent, and so that if someday we
get more than one machine we can split the jobs up among them and not have
to distribute new addresses.  That machine is emlee.kli.org, aka
emlee.lupine.org.  Lupine.org is the consulting company of our kindly
sysadmin and listadmin, Jay (whom you've seen as WW here).  telnet is a
program that just connects you to a port on the other machine.  By default,
it connects you to port 23, where most machines have a login server running
and expect you to give a name and a password.  The KLI machine is running
the MUSH, which listens at port 2218.  You have to get your telnet to
connect to 2218 to reach the MUSH.

~mark

Back to archive top level