tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 06 00:54:37 1995

Re: chuS'ugh

> hand I don't remember it introducing any new words, but I did
> rather like the term of endearment "'Iw'oy" (dear blood) it
> provided.

is that the spelling from the book? with the second "'"?
and if so, was this spelling sanctioned by Okrand?
if yes, I think we have evidence that

1) at least sometimes "Iw" is regarded as a vowel
2) at least sometimes "-oy" DOES insert "'" after a vowel

how safe is it then to conclude that ALL Vw and Vy
are vowels in this sense and that -oy ALWAYS inserts
' after a vowel?

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany