tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 06 13:13:22 1995

Re: chuS'ugh

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Marc Ruehlaender wrote:

> is that the spelling from the book? with the second "'"?
> and if so, was this spelling sanctioned by Okrand?
> if yes, I think we have evidence that
>
> 1) at least sometimes "Iw" is regarded as a vowel
> 2) at least sometimes "-oy" DOES insert "'" after a vowel
>
> how safe is it then to conclude that ALL Vw and Vy
> are vowels in this sense and that -oy ALWAYS inserts
> ' after a vowel?

No, I think in this case it's more of an insertion before a vowel.
Examples: 'etlh --> sword, "nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?" --> "Where's the
bathroom?". Not the double '' in this latter case, once after a vowel,
and once before. In spite of this, yes, w is sometimes considered a vowel
in Klingon, eg. in law'/puS comparative constructs. L8r.

Back to archive top level