tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 03 18:59:51 1995

Re: KLBC: situations whoch do not kill me...

On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Volker Tanger wrote:

> "situations/things which do not kill me, are dead, when I'm finished
> with them"

> which I translated into
>
> 	muHoHbe'bogh vIrInDI' GeghqIHpu'
>
> 	(it does not kill me)    has met death    as soon as I finish it

Watch the spelling, I believe you meant to write {Hegh qIHpu'} at the end.

When you make a relative clause (a {-bogh} contruction), it's best to
explicitly state what the head noun of the relative clause is.  In this
case, I would insert {vay'}: {muHoHbe'bogh vay'} (something/anything which
does not kill me).

You are also using {rIn} (be accomplished, finished) as a transitive
verb.  I don't think it can be used to mean "to finish something" (that
would be {rInmoH} or {ta'}.)  I would simply say {jIrInDI'} (when I am
finished) which is a subordinate clause and can be placed at the beginning
or end of the sentence. (Sec. 6.2.2)

I think the sentence works best if you make "something which does not
kill me" the subject of "meets death" (subjects follow the verb):

Hegh qIHpu' muHoHbe'bogh vay' jIrInDI'.  (Something which does not kill me
has met death when I am finished.)   or simply:

Hegh muHoHbe'bogh vay' jIrInDI'.  (Something which does not kill me
dies when I am finished.)

> 	yabHuj / Volker

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level