tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 03 21:09:00 1995

Re: KLBC - hello and questions

ghItlh yoDtargh:
>{DaH jIjatlh 'e' vIrIn} (Now I'm finished speaking) or
>{DaH jIjatlh 'e' vItaHlaHbe'} (Now I am not able to continue speaking.)

Since I associate the "now" with the main verb here, I'd expect these
to be {jIjatlh DaH 'e' vIrIn} and {jIjatlh DaH 'e' vItaHlaHbe'}.

But you recently pointed out that {rIn} probably isn't transitive, so
{... 'e' vIrIn} doesn't make grammatical sense.  You suggested making
it {rInmoH}; I think {mev} works.  Or {jIjatlh DaH 'e' vImev rIntaH},
to get across the "finished" idea.  Oops, I'm getting unnecessarily
complex for a note with "KLBC" in the subject.

>(The last two are sentence-as-object constructions (Sec. 6.2.5) which
>is probably the hardest thing for a beginner to master.)

(for experts as well, perhaps...? :-)