tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 10 06:47:50 1994

Re: A poem

According to David Trimboli:

> Hi there!  I've been gone since the list moved, but I'm back now, and
> I've been a little creative.  Please critique this!  I'm aware that some
> of the grammar is unusual, but some of it is for the poem's sake.  But
> do point out anything that is blatantly wrong!

Welcome back! My alarm just went off and I have to go now. I
have only one initial observation:

> "qaSchoHpu' may'"

This means, "The battle changes to have completed happening."
In other words, it is now over. It just finished. Drop the
{-pu'} and I think you will have what you want. "The battle
begins to happen." Your poem has nothing to do with the
completion of the battle, so the perfective is not what you
want. I know that you intend to apply the perfective to
{-choH}, but that's not how it works. Both the perfective and
{-choH} apply themselves to the main verb. You are saying that
the verb is complete in its action and this involves a change
of state. If anything, it emphasizes completion as being
different from the action that preceeded it.

I'll be back...

> D.A.T.  (who has been on the MUSH as tlhobwI'.)

charghwI'

Back to archive top level