tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 11 07:19:37 1994

Re: A poem

>Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 10:24:03 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>

>According to David Trimboli:

>> "qaSchoHpu' may'"

>This means, "The battle changes to have completed happening."
>In other words, it is now over. It just finished. Drop the
>{-pu'} and I think you will have what you want. "The battle
>begins to happen." Your poem has nothing to do with the
>completion of the battle, so the perfective is not what you
>want. I know that you intend to apply the perfective to
>{-choH}, but that's not how it works. Both the perfective and
>{-choH} apply themselves to the main verb. You are saying that
>the verb is complete in its action and this involves a change
>of state. If anything, it emphasizes completion as being
>different from the action that preceeded it.

Hmmm... I'm not sure about this, charghwI'.  I'm not sure you're wrong
either.  It seems to me that a word like "tujchoHpu'" can also mean "it has
become hot", not just "It has changed state after being hot".  After all
"It has become hot" also involves a change of state and a completed state
of affairs: the "becoming" is completed.  If anything, I'd be willing to
accept both meanings.  I'm not prepared to say that he shouldn't use
"-choHpu'" as he has done.

>> D.A.T.  (who has been on the MUSH as tlhobwI'.)

>charghwI'

~mark

Back to archive top level