tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 08 12:16:02 1994

Re: Lunar cycles

>Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 11:40:22 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Lori Hatcher <[email protected]>

>Normal Mayan system was based on the number 20, not 12. The calendar was  based on 12 periods of 28 solar days, comparables to a moon cycle.

>		   Julio Rodriguez.
>				   Klingon Empire Terran Culture
>				   Delegation.

>qapla'

><<<<<<<<<<
>I was under the impression that there are actually 13 lunar cycles in a year.  (28 days x 13 cycles = 364 days)The last lunar calendar at which I looked indicated thirteen, and attributed most of the associated mythology to Celtic (or Druid) lore.   But now I'm having a mental lapse as to the state of satelites of QonoS, and the cloud cover would make this an inappropriate method for calculating time anyway.

OK; a lunar cycle is approx 29-1/2 days, and 12 of them make up 354 days,
while 13 of them are 383.5.  So a solar year is neither 12 nor 13 lunar
months.  This is why the Jewish calendar is so fabulously confusing, since
the months are lunar but it has to conform to the solar year in the long
run so holidays stay in the right season.  So months are 29 or 30 days
long, and sprinkled in every 19 years are 7 leap years, which are 13 months
long (normal years are 12 months long), bringing things to almost exactly
19 solar years.  Two of the months vary in length, being 29 days in some
years and 30 days in others, allowing for 6 different year-lengths: a
normal year can be 353, 354, or 355 days long, while a leap year is 383,
384, or 385 days long.

OK, sorry for the digression...

>Ka'lIy, awaiting the next full moon

~mark