tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 08 13:19:08 1994

Re: "Kiss"?

On Tue, 8 Nov 1994, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 15:59:17 -0500
> >Originator: [email protected]
> >From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>
> Now, having said that, there's a big problem with all of this that only
> Okrand can truly resolve.  Note that he said that -'egh and -chuq can only
> be used with zero-object prefixes.  It somehow doesn't seem logical to me
> that you can have a verb taking a direct object and still using the
> zero-object prefixes, so I guess you'd have to use the old "'e' qaSmoH"
> circumlocution or something.  Or perhaps Okrand got carried away and
> overstated matters when he said that about zero-object prefixes (something
> I'm quite prepared to accept).
>

> ~mark

Maybe it's something analagous to the French 'je me lave les mains' for I
wash my hands.  The me is a reflexive (se laver) similar in meaning to
-egh or -chuq.  The French would literally be 'I wash myself the hands'

QoQghojwI'

Jason K. Green		[email protected]