tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 08 08:50:28 1994

Re: Lunar cycles

On Tue, 8 Nov 1994, Lori Hatcher wrote:

> I was under the impression that there are actually 13 lunar cycles in a year.  (28 days x 13 cycles = 364 days)The last lunar calendar at which I looked indicated thirteen, and attributed most of the associated mythology to Celtic (or Druid) lore.   But now I'm having a mental lapse as to the state of satelites of QonoS, and the cloud cover would make this an inappropriate method for calculating time anyway.
>
> Ka'lIy, awaiting the next full moon

There are between 12 and thirteen lunar cycles in one solar year.  According
to Eviatar Zerubavel's *The Seven Day Circle* (I think), ancient cultures
such as the Babylonians used a 19 year cycle known as the Metonic cycle which
alternated years of 12 and 13 lunar months.  This kept the lunar calendar
synchronized with the seasons.

Jason K. Green		[email protected]