tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 08 09:20:59 1994

Re: the qelI'qam, was Re: Nonexistent words ...?

According to Kevin A. Geiselman, Knight Errant:

> Which is exactly my point.  The base ten would be a 'natural' way of
> counting because Klingons have ten fingers.

One observation I've always offered for this kind of logic is
that among Klingon warriors, assuming that most of them have 10
fingers is a tenuous presumption. Have you ever handled a
betleH?

As for the mystical significance of three, I see it as simple.
Pick up something in your right hand. That's one. Pick up
something with your left hand. That's two. Got something left
over? That's three. Got more left over after that? Don't worry
about it. You can come back for that later. Take item three in
your teeth and take the three items wherever they need to go.
This brings new insight to the mathematical term "carry the
three" often used in Klingon addition.

As for counting things small enough that more than one fit in
each hand, well, what kind of sissy handles things small enough
to put several in one hand? Klingons like a fist-full of
whatever they handle.

As for a kelicam, I suggest that it originated as the distance
that, at sea level, an average Klingon warrior can throw a
tribble. You'd be surprised at how consistent this distance
tends to be, accurate to a very small tolerence.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level