tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 08 14:44:02 1994

Re: the qelI'qam, was Re: Nonexistent words ...?

Not to get too far "afoot" from the current philosophy discussions about
the >qelI'qam<...  But I think there is a clear parallel:

>qam<	foot, possibly also a roughly equal distance
>qelI'qam<   large multiple of the length of the average >qam<

"metre"   a distance about the equal of the length of 3 human feet
"kilometre"	large multiple of the length called a metre.

Maybe, >*qelI'+< is just a gloss of "kilo+" comparable to other little
Okrandic glosses.....

Of course, there is no occurence of >*mIlI'<, >*SentI'<, >*DeSI'<,
>*Heqto'<, >*megha'< and the like to back that, but just my two toes
worth.....

Dave.

Back to archive top level