tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 07 21:42:20 1994

Correction on Mayan numbering system, was: The qelI-qam

On Mon, 7 Nov 1994, Kevin A. Geiselman, Knight Errant wrote:

> No need to get absurd.  The Mayans had a base-12 numbering system because
> of the lunar cycle dividing the year into 12 months.  They chose to
> impose an 'unnatural' numbering system on their subjects for
> administrative or religious or some other reason.  However, I'm sure a
> good deal of common counting was done in base-10 because the average
> illiterate couldn't figure out how to count in base-12 on his fingers.
>
> The point is, the Mayans thought their calendar was important enough to
> create a system whereby it permeated their culture.  Official documents
> had to be in base-12  to pay homage to the lunar cycle.  The 12-month
> motif was seen throughout art, archetecture, and mysticism.

Normal Mayan system was based on the number 20, not 12. The calendar was
based on 12 periods of 28 solar days, comparables to a moon cycle.

Example :
  (=)   Conch   Zero
   .    dot     One
  ..            Two