tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 05 23:04:49 1994

Re: Critique my translation please.

On Sat, 5 Nov 1994, Chet Braun wrote:

> I have attempted my first translation and would like a
> critique.
> This poem is from the script of a TNG episode "Up the Long
> Ladder"
>
> 1. I hunt in the darkness.
> 2. The stars my guide.
> 3. The memory of you sings in my blood.
> 4. I seize the gift.
> 5. Carry it to your bower.
> 6. And lay at your feet the hearts of my enemies.

While I'll leave the critique of Chet's translation to the Grammarians, I
just wanted to try my hand at rendering this poem in the original Klingon.

HurghtaHvIS jIwam.
DevwI'wIj bIH Hovmey'e'.
qaqawmo' bom 'IwwIj.
pe'vIl nob vItlhap.
pa'HomlIjDaq vIqeng.
jaghpu'wI' tiqDu' qamDu'lIjDaq vIlam.

Whew!  Although I was sorely tempted, I managed to get through the whole
thing without using a single {-ghach}!  {{:-)

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level