tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 19 07:03:59 1994

Re: KLBC: Hoghvam

** BEGINNER **

qoranvo':

>[QoweySa']Daq jIyIntaH.
>mu'ghom vIghajbe, vaj pojwI' ghunwI' vItlho'qu'.
>tlhIH je vItlhoqu'.
>naDev mu'ghom SuqlaHbe'lu'.
>ghu'vammo' jI'IQ.
>jInmol vInIDtaH.
>tugh DaleghlaH 'e' vItul.

nuqDaq "Croatia" tu'lu'?
pong vIQoylaw'pu'...
'ach ghu' vIqawbe'.
jInmollIj jIghoSnISmo', jIQuchHa'.
tugh maHvaD yIcha'!
vIlegh vIneHqu'!
QaQqu' jInmollIj 'e' vIpIH.  {{:)

Comments on your translation...
First, in the second and third lines, you forgot 's in <vIghajbe'> and
<vItlho'qu'>.  I realize how easy it is to forget a lousy little apostrophe,
but I want to emphasize that, in Klingon, the glottal stop (represented with
the ' ) is every bit as much a consonant as S, t, l, gh, n, m, or any of the
others!  *Please* don't leave them out!  Imagine if we left the "n" off the
end of your name, and started calling you "qora"? {{:)  {{:)  I know I am
"guilty" of this crime, just like everyone else, on occassion, but you can
always look back on your posts before you mail them for such obvious typos,
and either correct them, or make a note of them (I know how line editors can
be! {{:( ) at the end.  I can usually "speak typo", but not always. {{:)

Other than the typos, there were not many errors in this post (maj!).  On the
third line, you remembered that <je> can be used to mean "also", but you put
it in the wrong spot; it needs to come after the verb, before the subject, if
the subject isn't implied in the verb prefix:

	tlhIH vItlhoqu' je

Also, in your second-to-last sentence, your intended translation said "I work
on a project", but your Klingon reads "I am attempting a project."  In this
case, it is more or less the same thing, but I wanted to make certain you were
aware of the difference; I have been seeing one or two place where students
have used the incorrect verb, thinking it was right.  If such was the case,
then you mistook <nID> ("to try") for <vum> ("to work, toil").

Finally, before I give you my translations, I want to make a comment on -taH.
Several people responded to my question on where people were located as qoran
did, saying <"place"Daq jIyIntaH>.  Now, there isn't anything wrong with that,
but I wanted to note that -taH means "coninuous."  This means that if you say
<"Ohio"Daq jIyIntaH>, you are implying that you have always lived in Ohio, and
that you probably will ALWAYS live in Ohio, as you have no plans to move.
('ej "Ohio"Daq bIyInnIStaHqu'chugh, vaj qavupqu'bej!)

As I said, this isn't *wrong*, but I I want everyone to understand the
difference between <jIyIn>, <jItIntaH>, and <jIyInlI'>.  (The latter means
that you are living [in a place], but you plan to move someday, somehow...
there is a definite *end* to when you will be living in *that* place).  This
may all very well be just *my* interpretation... but if so, I am certain I
will hear about it.  {{:/  Comments?

Translations:
------------

Where is Croatia?
I seem to have heard the name...
But I don't remember how.
I am unhappy because I have to wait for your project.
Show it to us soon!
I am eager to see it!
I expect your project will be good!

(and if you have to continuously live in Ohio, then I really pity you!)

--HoD trI'Qal

Back to archive top level