tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 15 02:41:45 1994

Re: KBLC: jIbeplaw

*Beginner*

qorvo':

Before I go into the main body of this letter, I forgot to point out that the
title should have an ' at the end of it.  Thank you, marnen!

>	Actually, this is what I meant to say.  So you did translate my hack
>correctly.  I was unsure of the `jang` trick,  I was unsure of how to voice
it.
>What would be the better way to translate it?

That is a good question.  How about:

	bIjang 'e' vIleghbej  "I certainly see that you answer".  I was at a
loss the first time I tried to offer alternate translations, because I wasn't
sure of your intent.  Is this any closer?

>	What I was attempting to lament about is that having the answers on the
>same page on the print outs I bring home,  destroys my learning.  I disagree
>with the "I know how to use a dictionary" argument.  If you get sick of
>flippin
>pages, LEARN the words.  This would *help* you learn them,  as you would stop
>flipping pages as you LEARNED the language.

I recall seeing a later post from Qanqor addressing this.  I recall he offered
the suggestion that "new" learners continue to provide their translations,
while "advanced" learners would not.  (If I am paraphrasing him wrong, I am
sure he will correct me...)  This was an excellent idea, and one I never would
have thought of in a million years.  I will speak more of that in a later post.

>	Although I see the merit of including the translations,  I agree
>with the notion of either having them encrpyted (even just using UUENCODE,
>since it is available for PC's as well - I have it at home!) or some other
>technique.

The problems with this is not everyone has access to the same methods of
encoding.  I am on a VAX/VMS (HELP!  I'm stuck on a VAX/VMS in the middle of
BITNET!!!!), and have very *litte* control over what kind of software I can
actually access, and virtually no manipulation of files.  Such an encoding
scheme will certainly not work for me.

>	I also realize I am out numbered here and will be forced to conform,
>albeit complaining loudly about this one (quasi) minor point.

Actually, I don't like the inclusion of the text either, but if those who are
looking for corrections on their translations don't include them, I am at a
loss when I am not sure of your intent.  Usually, I can tell (because I used
to make the exact same errors {{;) ), but not always.  That is why I asked
they be included... so I can better help you.

>	wIv vighajbe'law.
>	mamoSlaHbe'chugh, jIHeQqang
>	vIvumnIS mu'tlheghmejwIj.
>	choQaH.

mamoSlaHlaw'.
bISuvqangtaHmo' bIquvqu'!
HIQochtaHneS!

The first line was very good... except you need an ' at the end of
<vIghajbe'law'>.  (You also forgot to capitalize the "I", but that is minour.)
The second line was beautiful.  majQa'!  The third line looks like you were
trying to say "I need to work on my sentences" and "My sentences need work" at
the same time.  I think the first translataion would work better:
mu'tlheghmeywIj vIvumnIS.  (You also used -mej, which doesn't exist, instead
of -mey)  The last sentence was a statement of fact.  "You help me."  It is
fine as it is, but if you wanted to say "Help me," as in the command, you
would have wanted one of the imperative prefixes from page 34:  HIQaH.  From
your translation, I think you wanted to say: choQaHlaH.  "You can help me",
though.

Translations:

We seem to be able to compromise.
You are *honoured*, becasue you are willing to keep fighting!
Keep disagreeing with me!

--HoD trI'Qal

Back to archive top level