tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 15 02:15:42 1994

Re: KLBC: Spring Break

*Beginner*

...Paulvo':

>DaH poH'a' vIghajmo' jIghIQlaH 'ach jIneHqu'nISmo' jIghIQQo'
>qaD 'oHpu' mughta'ghach'e'

I think Qanqor already answered this, so if he already mentioned anything I
say here, just ignore me. {{:)

This was a nice attempt, but it has a few ewrrors in it.  First is the use of
the suffix -Qo' on a non-imperative verb.  You can't do that.  If you want to
say "never", but in a non-imperative/command sense, use <not>.  That is what
it is there for.  Also, the second part of the first sentence reads (ignoring
the error with -Qo') "I never take a vacation because I need to WANT.  The
verb for to work is <vum>.  So your first sentence should be:

	DaH poH'a' vIghajmo' jIghIQlaH 'ach jIvumqu'nISmo' not jIghIQ

Also, I am not sure you used -'a' the way you intended.  -'a' augments or
makes bigger.  It doesn't emphasize; you could use -'e' for that.  If you
meant it to mean a great deal of time, then it -'a' is okay.  I wasn't sure
which you meant.

As for the second sentence, It is grammatically correct... but anytime I see
someone using two verbs as nouns in a "to be" expression like this, I tend to
make a point about style, especially is one of them is nominalized with -
ghach.  I would have recast this to use the verbs as verbs, instead of nouns:

	mu'tlhegh vImughta'mo', muqaDpu'.
	"Because I translated that sentence, it challenged me."

A bit more "wordy" that the original, but also a bit easier to follow (IMO).
Again, that is just a stylistic point; what you had was grammatically correct.

>Before the translations, I've a question for the grammarians...  This I'll
>also do in Klingon (I spent the time, I'm gonna do it!  And you can't
>stop me!  :)

qatlh pImev wIneHqu'???  {{:)

>neH "'ach jIneHqu'nISmo' jIghIQQo'" 'e' mu'tlhegh pImDaq vIjatlhlaHpu''a'
>I'll translate this right off the bat...
>Could I have said "'ach jIneHqu'nISmo' jIghiQQo'" in a separate sentence?
>Is it possible/how would I create a "But..." sentence?

Yes, you could.  It is either a fragment, as in English, or you can remember
that <'ach> also means "nevertheless, even so, however", all of which are
legitimate starters for English sentences.  There were a number of errors in
your translation of your question.  One was the misplacing of <neH>, which
needs to follow the verb. (see page 56)  Also, I am not sure you need a <'e'>
in there, since you put the whole sentence in quotes.  That is a question for
the pabpo'...  Finally, I want to compliment you on your use of <pIm> as an
adjective.  Your phrase <mu'tlhegh pImDaq> is a correct example of how to use
adjective-verbs with a type-5 suffixed noun.

Translations:

Why should we WANT to stop you? {{:)

--HoD trI'Qal

Back to archive top level