tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 14 09:14:17 1994

Re: KLBC: nuqDaq vIyIn?

>>From: "Matthew Whiteacre" <[email protected]>
>>Date: Thu, 10 Mar 94 15:32:01 CST
>>Subject: Re: KLBC: nuqDaq vIyIn?
>>
>>peDDaq <ski> 'e' vIghajbe'
>>
>>I have not skied on snow
>
>I'm almost positive this is wrong.  I even recognized the verb ghaj without
>looking it up!  :)
>
>ghaj means "to have", as in "possession", and does not relate to past or
>present tense in any way.  To say I have not skied on snow, it would be

You are absolutely correct.  You are definitely getting better in your Hol!

>peDDaq jI"SQIy"ta'be'

You could also say:

	wej peDDaq jI"sky".  ("I don't ski on snow yet.")

>I think that's the best solution...  I thought it would be cute to homomize
>"ski" to "SQIy"....  :)
>
>...Paul

Cute, yes, but hard to understand.  Quite honestly, with the two konsonants
next to each other like that, it looks like some sort of weird typo.  Another
reason I don't like transliteration like this. {{:)

>Qapla' Dachavjaj

I don't know if this little wuote of yours is out of cannon or if you made it
up, but I like it, and it is nicely done. {{:)  I like the use of <chav>.

--HoD trI'Qal

Back to archive top level