tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 14 20:54:00 1994

KLBC: nuqDaq vIyIn?

>From: "trI'Qal" <[email protected]>
>Date: Mon, 14 Mar 1994 22:11:02 -0400 (EDT)

>>>From: "Matthew Whiteacre" <[email protected]>
>>>Date: Thu, 10 Mar 94 15:32:01 CST

>>peDDaq jI"SQIy"ta'be'

>You could also say:

>   wej peDDaq jI"sky".  ("I don't ski on snow yet.")

This is a KLBC discussion, so I let trI'Qal have the first crack at it, but
she missed something vital: "peD" is not a noun.  It's a verb.  You can't
stick a noun-suffix like "-Daq" onto a verb (without assuming a noun that
we have no evidence for).  This is a tricky thing to keep straight; I
misused "peD" the first time I tried also.  Just a point to remember:
whenever you look something up, *make sure* you check its part of speech.

So how would you do this?  I'm afraid the answer is likely beyond the scope
of the KLBC.  You could do something like "peD[pu']DI' wej vI<<ski>>",
using the "-DI'" verb suffix, meaning "I haven't yet skiied [after] when it
snows".  There ought to be a better way... you could go on to "ghorDaq
peDDI' wej ghojvam vI<<ski>>" (when it snows on ground, I haven't yet
skiied on that ground)... if there were a good way to do the "ship in which
I fled" problem you could talk about "ground on which it has snowed", but
I'm getting beyond things here.

>--HoD trI'Qal

~mark

Back to archive top level