tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 01 01:28:24 1994

Re: KLBC

"Matt Whiteacre" muja'ta':

>tlhIngan Hol vIlo' 'e' vItIv je        <-- je following a verb means ALSO
>'ach ja'chuqghach vItagh 'e' vIQaQbe'      p. 55 section 5.3 in TKD
>vaj ja'chuqghachmaj Dataghjaj
>
>"ghojchoHwI'pu' HochvaD:" 'e' vIyajbe'

tera'ngan HolDaq jIQIj...

Please forgive me if you are not a beginning student, and I am insulting your
intelliegence with this long-winded explainaition.  This IS under the KLBC, so
I felt I would present a full explaination of I translate this word back to
English, especially since I was the person who used the word in the first
place.  For those who want only the translation, or just the tlhIngan at the
end, skip a few paragraphs down.

"ghojchoHwI'pu' HochvaD:" is a noun-noun construction.  Let me break it down:
"HochvaD" is just "Hoch", "all", with -vaD attached.  So this word means
"(intended) for all".  That's the easy part.  I admit, the previous word is a
bit of a mess... Let's break that down too.  When I get a huge word like this,
the first thing I do is skim for any suffixes I recognize.  (Memorizing your
suffixes is one of the best things you can do!  Even if you can't remember
what they mean, if you can even recognize a word-part as a suffix, it makes
most translations MUCH easier!)  This one has three: -choH, -wI', and -pu'.
>From that, I guess the root of the word is "ghoj", which I look up in my KD,
and find that it is a verb meaning "to learn".  So this monstrosity has
something to do with learning.  Next, I look up the first suffix, -choH.  This
designates some sort of change... usually something is beginning.  So, I now
have "to begin to learn".  Then I look up the third suffix, -wI'.  Since I am
dealing with a verb, this has to be "one who is/does", not the noun meaning of
"my", referring to beings.  (If it were a noun, then it couldn't take -choH,
which is only a verb suffix).  The -wI' suffix also turns my verb into a noun,
so any suffixes which come after it have to be noun suffixes.  So far, I have
"one who begins to learn".  Now the final suffix, -pu'.  Since it follows -
wI', this has to be a noun suffix.  -pu', on a noun is the plural, referring
to beings... which I would definitely consider "one who begins to learn"!  So
now, we have "people who begin to learn"... or, beginning students.  Now we
combine the two in the noun-noun construction from page 30... Our two words
mean "<word 2> of the <word 1>"... or, "for all of the people who are
beginning to learn"... or:

   "for all beginning students:"

Does all of that make sense?  Should I shut up now?  Yes, I should... time for
some Hol!

vaj wa'DIch jIjatlh.
Saj ghaj qorDu'wIj.
Sajvam vIparqu'.
jatlhlaHlaw'bogh Ha'DIbaH 'oH Sajvam'e'.
Ha'DIbaHvamvaD "parrot" lupong tera'nganpu'.
QIpqu' "parrot"maj.
not jatlh.
tera'ngan Hol jatlhlaHbe'law' "parrot".
vaj 'oHvaD tlhIngan Hol vIjalth.
chaq tlhIngan Hol jalthlaH "parrot", qar'a'?

--HoD trI'Qal
  tlhwD lIy So'

Back to archive top level