tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 14 17:01:06 1994

Re: paghmo'

MattWhiteacre:
In your post, you expressed your difficult in understanding NickNicholas'
Klingon. Well, you're not alone. Nick's Klingon is... unique. Not necessarily
bad, but it seems riddled with idioms that we tera'ngan Hol jatlhwI'pu' may
not understand. I personally find the Klingon of charghwI', Qanqor, ~mark,
among many others to be quite clear and concise, viz., un-idiomatic.

I often complain to myself at how horribly Anglicized so many Klingonists
write. E.g., the idiomatic "in the morning" that would come out {poDaq} in
Klingon. This is going directly from one language to another without thinking
what the words really mean. There is no real universal way to express
anything. Some languages say "at morning," or "on the morning." Klingon says
"when morning occurs."

The odd thing about Nick's Klingon is that it is so un-Anglicized that it
comes close to gibberish. Sometimes I read one of his Sonnets and think "What
does this mean?? These words have nothing to do with each other." Still, it's
true that Shakespeare's English is chock-full of idioms. So, having trouble
with Nick's Klingon is anything but a sign of less than decent reading
skills. If anything, it should not be considered a mark against your
abilities. If you want to know anything about your reading abilities, try
conversing with charghwI' or ~mark. Krankor's not too bad, but I find his
Klingon resembling English too closely.

***jabbI'ID pItlh***
Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

DaH jIyon  mu' law' ngaSpu'bogh nachwIj vIchImmoH rIntaH

Back to archive top level