tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 11 02:19:20 1994

paghmo'

By reading over Nick's work for the KSRP I have found how poor my skills at
reading tlhIngan Hol are.  This is not meant to be a critique on the work,
just a request for help in learning how to read tlhIngan Hol.  These are
all from Act 1 Scene 1.  Could you all help me by point out how I have gone
wrong in my attempts at the un-translating of the tlhIngan Hol back into
English.

>Q: chollI'
>vImejDI', wej 'oH chuqDaj'e'

When I left him his distance was three.

>DataHghach nulay'bogh Qupmo', juSta'
What is this?

>pIHwI' juSpu'ghach juSpu' ghaH law'; qaja'laHghach chopIHlaH puS
[[Noun] (verb of quality)]law' [[Noun] (verb of quality)] puS

>L: wanI'vammo' Quchqu'law' *meSI'na*vamDaq ghaHbogh SoSloDnI'Daj'e'

I can translate this, but I don't understand why. Would this be better?
L: wanI'vammo' *meSI'na*vamDaq Quchqu'bogh SoSloDnI'Daj'e' ghaj

>Q: pongvam pagh ghajwI' vISov, jaw  <-- jaw for lady??  jawbe'
ghotvam ngaSbe'bej mangghom

>L: Dayu', 'Iv DaqeltaHvIS, be'nI'puq?
???
nuq ta'bogh bItlhobmoH, be'nI'puqbe'?

>H: *pa'Duwa* qaH *be'neDIq* qel be'nI''a'wI' <-- SoSnI'puqbe''a'wI'

>Q: toH, chegh'eghta'
>reH belmoH 'ej DaH belmoH ghaH
                          ^taH?

>L: va, be'nI'puq, qaH *be'neDIq* DanaDHa'
>'a Durap ghaH pawDI' 'e' jIHonbe'
What is "va" and "'a"?
Durap -> Dughom?

>Bet: Soj ngIm ghajlu'law'
>Soplu'taHvIS QaHpu'law' ghaH
>ghaHba' SojparHa'wI' yoH'e'
>jaq HurghDaj

I can't get a translation out of this. The closest I can come is:

Someone apparently has bad food.
while someone continued to eat the food, he apparently helped them
"yoH'e'"  of one who likes food was obviously it
His pickle is bold?
              ____
             |INRI|
             |    |           Matt Whiteacre