tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 11 03:56:20 1994

Re: paghmo'

On Fri, 11 Feb 1994, Matthew Whiteacre wrote:

I haven't read the Shakespearean work here, so I won't be able to
fill in the blanks (if there are any) left in the Klingon....

> >Q: chollI'
> >vImejDI', wej 'oH chuqDaj'e'
>
> When I left him his distance was three.

"He is coming closer.  When I leave him, he will be three away."

(You're right -- three what?)

> >DataHghach nulay'bogh Qupmo', juSta'
> What is this?

Hmm...
{DataHghach} = Behavior as (Da -taH -ghach, not Da- taH -ghach)
{nulay'bogh} = he/they who promises us
{Qupmo'} = because he/they is young
{juSta'} =he/they have overtaken them

Perhaps "Because he who promises us behavior is young, he has
overtaken them".

Makes sense except for the behavior part, but maybe I'm missing
some context.

> >pIHwI' juSpu'ghach juSpu' ghaH law'; qaja'laHghach chopIHlaH puS
> [[Noun] (verb of quality)]law' [[Noun] (verb of quality)] puS

{pIHwI'} = one who expects/is suspicious
{juSpu'ghach} = his overtaking of him
{juSpu' ghaH} = *he* has overtaken him
{qaja'laHghach} = my reporting to you
{chopIHlaH} = you can expect me

I'm totally mystified by this.

> >Q: pongvam pagh ghajwI' vISov, jaw  <-- jaw for lady??  jawbe'
> ghotvam ngaSbe'bej mangghom

<this name> <zero/none> <owner> <I know it>, <lord/chat (in-joke!)>

"I know this name's no owner, the army certainly doesn't contain
the lord's this person."

Oh, there just has to be something about Klingon grammar I don't know.

> >L: Dayu', 'Iv DaqeltaHvIS, be'nI'puq?
> ???

<You interrogate them>, <who> <while you consider them>, <sister-child>

"You interrogate them, while you consider whom, sister-child?"

> nuq ta'bogh bItlhobmoH, be'nI'puqbe'?

Hmm... Another grammar rule I'm unaware of.

> >Bet: Soj ngIm ghajlu'law'
> >Soplu'taHvIS QaHpu'law' ghaH
> >ghaHba' SojparHa'wI' yoH'e'
> >jaq HurghDaj

<While someone eats it> <he apparently had helped it>
<he obviously is> <food-liker> <be brave> 'e'
<be bold> <his pickle>

> I can't get a translation out of this. The closest I can come is:
>
> Someone apparently has bad food.
> while someone continued to eat the food, he apparently helped them
> "yoH'e'"  of one who likes food was obviously it
> His pickle is bold?

Your guess is as good as mine.  <sigh>

--Rob

Back to archive top level