tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 06 22:02:07 1994

pronouns as verbs

"*jIghaH"??  Yuck.  Sorry, that doesn't work for me at all.  We know that
pronouns can take verbal *suffixes*, but prefixes are unattested, and how
on earth would they be used?  "jIghaH"??  "ghaH" as a verb is "he/she
is..." how could something that contains its subject in third-person have a
first-person subject?  That's like putting two prefixes on, like
"*luvIlegh".  "I am he"?  If you must use pronouns only, what's wrong with
"ghaH jIH"?  Remember, pronouns aren't *only* verb-like; they're also...
well, pronouns!

I think you're getting carried away with what bizarre ends of the envelope
there *might* be because they aren't clearly described, rather than dealing
with how the language would actually be used.  If we started coming up with
equivalent stuff in English, you'd say it belonged nowhere except maybe in
the most avant-garde poetry.

~mark

Back to archive top level