tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 06 03:33:46 1994

Re: pronouns as verbs

ghItlh joy'wI' ([email protected]):

>Here's a question that has always been bugging me. Can "jIghaH" be used
>for "I am him"? Or are prefixes on pronouns prohibited?

Ugh. What a monstrous suggestion. "marap jIH ghaH je" is how I would
do it, or just "marap" if the context were clear.

>If "jIghaH" is valid, then could "mughaH matlh" or "matlh vIghaH" be
>another way of saying "I am Maltz"? Of course, most Klingons would use
>"matlh jIH", but I am curious.

Aside from "matlh jIH", these just don't seem right. "matlh vIponglu'"
is another legit way of getting this idea across.

>As far as I can tell the above forms are valid (pronouns can have
>suffixes, so why can't they have prefixes?), but I am not sure.

Well, "jIH" and its relatives are chuvmey, not verbs. Offhand, I can't
think of any canonical examples of pronouns with verbal suffixes; on
the list, we seem to stick to noun suffixes (jIHvaD, jIHvo'). This is
enough evidence for me.

QumpIn 'avrIn

"There is no place for the weak and cowardly in shuffleboard."
  - Worf, on "The Love Boat: The Next Generation"

Back to archive top level