tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 15 00:22:32 1994

Re: -lu'

jIlIH'egh chochaw'chugh:

>>Marc<< 'oH pongwIj'e'.
'u' chutmey QeD ghojwI' jIH.
>>Germany<<-ngan jIH.

(I hope s.o. puts the above into klingon :)

To the Subject:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 1994 Guido wrote:
> > {HeghqangmoHlu'pu'} = "it made him/her willing to die" (TKD pg 45)

I hope you'll forgive me, but I think Okrand himself is
not too sure about what he wants the meaning use joq of
suffixes to be.
In 4.2.2 and 4.2.4 he describes -qang and -moH as applying
to the subject of the sentence, so w/o the -lu' it should
read

HeghqangmoHpu'		he willingly caused her to die

Now adding -lu' leads to

HeghqangmoHlu'pu'	s.o. willingly caused him to die

which is of course different from Okrands translation above.

IMHO
s.o caused him to willingly die
			Heghqang 'e' qaSmoHlu'pu'

What is the 'official' (i.e. on this list, at KLI...)
handling of this problem (not -lu')?

> -lu' has always provided problems for me so I would like to encourage
> continuation of this discussion.  To address some of my specific problems
> and to spur further conversation, I would like to ask a couple of simple
> questions.  I want EVERYONE to reply.
>
> 1) How would YOU say, "It made Maltz willing to die"?

This is related to ~mark's reply on 2) below and to
what I said above. -moH applies to the subject of the
verb, which isn't matlh, so you have again to use (IMHO)

Heghqang matlh 'e' qaSmoHlu'pu'

> 2) How would YOU say, "It made him/her willing to destroy the ship"?

Duj Qaw'qang 'e' qaSmoHlu'pu'

> 3) And to be complete, "It made Maltz willing to destroy the ship"?

Duj Qaw'qang matlh 'e' qaSmoHlu'pu'

> 4) Finally, do you have cannon (i.e. Okrandian) support for these
> sentences or are these personal opinions?  Please present your support.

it's all IMHO, based on the description of the suffixes
rather than the examples given...

> tagh may'

tagh may'lu'pu'

> janSIy  }}:+D>

Qapla'
			Marc 'Doychlangan'
Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany