tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 14 18:33:07 1994

Re: -lu'

On Wed, 14 Dec 1994, Jeremy Cowan wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 1994 Guido wrote:
> > {HeghqangmoHlu'pu'} = "it made him/her willing to die" (TKD pg 45)
>
> -lu' has always provided problems for me so I would like to encourage
> continuation of this discussion.  To address some of my specific problems
> and to spur further conversation, I would like to ask a couple of simple
> questions.  I want EVERYONE to reply.
>
> 1) How would YOU say, "It made Maltz willing to die"?

Heghqang *matlh* 'e' qaSmoHpu' 'oH.
(or //Heghqang *matlh* 'e' qaSmoHpu' vay'//)

> 2) How would YOU say, "It made him/her willing to destroy the ship"?

Duj Qaw'qang ghaH 'e' qaSmoHpu' 'oH (vay' joq).

> 3) And to be complete, "It made Maltz willing to destroy the ship"?

Duj Qaw'qang *matlh* 'e' qaSmoHpu' 'oH (vay' joq).

> 4) Finally, do you have cannon (i.e. Okrandian) support for these
> sentences or are these personal opinions?  Please present your support.

no known canon support.  at least, i don't know of any offhand, and i
don't particularly want to take the time to check.  the construction
which Okrand has suggested, involving <-qangmoHlu'>, makes me uneasy, as
i get the feeling this is a somewhat special case.  i don't fully
understand the rules and structures involved.  i *think* my constructions
above are similar to what is intended by the english.  (although i could
very well be incorrect.  i did these somewhat impulsively.)  in any case,
i am much more comfortable writing this construction than that quoted by
Guido#1.

> tagh may'

tagh'egh'a' may'??

> janSIy  }}:+D>

--naQ'avwI'
(half-klingon, half-elven.  go figg'r.)

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchugh "[email protected]"Daq jabbI'IDmeylIj yIngeH
*&* Silauren, Half-Elven      *&* Jeremy  Greene *&*   There's only ONE god!
*&* [email protected]     *&*  Don't drop acid.  *&* He is the SUN god!!
*&* [email protected]       *&* Take it Pass/Fail. *&* Ra! Ra!! RA!!!
*&* "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!" -Han Solo

Back to archive top level