tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 07 07:49:16 1994

Re: -Daq quickie

>Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 17:32:22 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>

>According to David Trimboli:
>>
>> Greetings, all.
>>
>> (1) A quick question:  is -Daq allowed to go on a time reference?
>>     I don't see any reason it shouldn't, but I'd like the grammarians'
>>     opinions.  For example, can I say "wa'maH vatlh repDaq" instead of
>>     "qaSDI' wa'maH vatlh rep", and "*Sunday*Daq" instead of "qaSDI' *Sunday*"?
>>      I have seen the latter of each of these examples used, but I don't
>>      remember seeing the former.

You've *got* to do something about your editor; it's padding every line out
to something too long.

>It is considered idiomatic to languages other than Klingon to
>use a locative time reference. Time and space seem to be
>unrelated within the Klingon language. That's why you have seen
>examples like the latter and not the former.

Just a small piece of corroborative evidence for this (after all, using
locatives for time isn't that rare in languages, why avoid it in Klingon?):
Okrand himself blatantly avoids using "-Daq" temporally, in the famous
sentence "qaStaHvIS wa' ram, loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD."  He *could*
have said "wa' ramDaq", but very plainly didn't.  We take this as evidence
that -taHvIS constructions (esp. qaStaHvIS), are at the very least
preferable to temporal "-Daq"s, if the latter is permitted at all.

~mark

Back to archive top level