tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 06 13:00:35 1994

Re: -Daq quickie

According to David Trimboli:

> Greetings, all.
>
> (1) A quick question:  is -Daq allowed to go on a time reference?
>     I don't see any reason it shouldn't, but I'd like the grammarians'
>     opinions.  For example, can I say "wa'maH vatlh repDaq" instead of
>     "qaSDI' wa'maH vatlh rep", and "*Sunday*Daq" instead of "qaSDI' *Sunday*"?
>      I have seen the latter of each of these examples used, but I don't
>      remember seeing the former.

It is considered idiomatic to languages other than Klingon to
use a locative time reference. Time and space seem to be
unrelated within the Klingon language. That's why you have seen
examples like the latter and not the former.

> (2) With all this talk of new watches, I found something cute...
>     "Big Ben in London" could be written (to be confusing) as
>     "LondonDaq ben'a'" which to me also sounds something like "many years ago
>     in London".  Of course, you could easily fix this by saying
>     "*London*Daq *Ben* tin" or even "*London*Daq tlhaq tin", but it's
>     not as much fun that way!  :)

Fun or no, as yet it is an exceptionally good idea to mark all
non-Klingon words rather than try to transliterate. It drives
some people crazy. Krankor, in particular, had a reputation for
erupting whenever anybody did this. It really pissed him off,
almost as much as the time when folks started typing everything
in Klingon -- backwards. 'a'jayaD mavcheq? As you can see, it
looks enough like Klingon to drive a Klingonist nuts until the
code is broken.

> D.A.T.
> tlhIngan wo' batlh HubwI'
>
> QUIT