tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 30 08:24:45 1994

Re: Klingon music

On Mon, 29 Aug 1994, R.B Franklin wrote:

> I was just wondering...  Has anyone ever composed songs in Klingon?
>
> yoDtargh

I have written a song in Klingon.

A few notes on how to read the transcription:
	It is in 4/4 time.  A good beat to march to.  The beat is counted out
	on the top line with half-beats marked as 'a'.  Tap your foot on
	the numbered beats and you'll get the idea.

	The notes are on the second line starting with 'C'.  Any notes higher
	than your starting 'C'.  Any notes higher than that are marked with
	a '^'.  If you have a keyboard and no musical talent, 'C' is the
	white key just to the left of the 2 black keys.  The notes proceed
	from 'C' through 'G' and then back to 'A'.  The 'Bb' in the third
	measure is the black key just to the left of 'B'.  If you can't
	figure it out, don't worry, if you have the proper beat, it works as
	well as a chant.

	The words are on the third line.  Words broken with hyphens are
	carried into the next beat.  The translation is left to you but it
	is extremely simple.  Once you know the words, singing it should be
	no problem.  You might even want to add appropraite motions for
	dramatic effect.

Qapla'

Kordite, Chief of Intelligence, IKV Dark Justice, Klingon Assault Group

nach volchaHDu' qIvDu' yaDDu'
 __________________________________ __________________________________
|  1   a   2   a   3   a   4   a   |  1   a   2   a   3   a   4   a   |
|  C--------   C   D^  C   B   C   |  A   A   C   C   C   C           |
|  na-----ch  vol-chaHDu' qIv-Du'  | yaD-Du' qIv-Du' yaD-Du'          |
|__________________________________|__________________________________|
 __________________________________ __________________________________
|  1   a   2   a   3   a   4   a   |  1   a   2   a   3   a   4   a   |
|  C--------   C   D^  C   B   C   |  G   G   C   C   C   Bb  A   G   |
|  na-----ch  vol-chaHDu' qIv-Du'  | yaD-Du' qIv-Du' yaD-Du'  je---   |
|__________________________________|__________________________________|
 __________________________________ __________________________________
|  1   a   2   a   3   a   4   a   |  1   a   2   a   3   a   4   a   |
|  F       A       C       F^      |  G^  F^  E^  F^  D^-------       |
| mIn-----Du'     qogh----Du'      |  nu--j   je----  ghI-----ch      |
|  1   a   2   a   3   a   4   a   |  1   a   2   a   3   a   4   a   |
|  E^-------   E^  E^  C   D^  E^  |  F^  F^  F^  F^  F^  F^          |
|  na-----ch  vol-chaHDu' qIv-Du'  | yaD-Du' qIv-Du' yaD-Du'          |

Back to archive top level