tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 29 21:31:34 1994

Re: Klingon music

According to R.B Franklin:

> I was just wondering...  Has anyone ever composed songs in Klingon?

The most famous is Krankor's /taHjaj wo'/. Ask him nice and
he'll sell you a tape of him singing it in three parts with
synthesizer and drums. You've got to hear it to believe it.
Truely inspirational. He might even send you the sheet music. I
intend to make my own rendition with more of an African drum
background, but that will be for my own entertainment. Krankor
is the composer and performer who deserves the attention for
this one.

> Does anyone have a tape of Klingon tunes?

Write to [email protected].

> I know I've heard a couple of songs on TNG and DS9; does anyone have the
> words to those, or was that even real tlhIngan Hol?

No and no.

> I know charghwI' wrote a short piece: "HeHDaq bIyInbe'chugh vaj bIlI'Ha."
> I was wondering if that actually had a melody.  charghwI', if I sent you
> a tape, would you sing that for me?  {{:-)>

No and no.

> BTW, what is a chuS'ugh?  Is that one of those little lyre things the
> the Klingon restaurant-owner on DS9 played as he sang to his guests?

I had always imagined it to be something more akin to a very
dissonant variation on Scottish Highland Pipes, myself. You
know, the ones that can drown out a passing steam locomotive?
The ones that can be hear a mile away during an earthquake? The
ones that are loud enough to make a rock and roll performer
cry? Maybe Paramount thinks the lyre is a chuS'ugh, but I'll be
disappointed if that turns out to be the case.

> Is there a klingon word for music?

{bom} is the word for either the noun "song" or the verb
"sing". In both cases, there is a notation that it is closer to
a chant than what Terrans might call a song. See HolQeD vol. 2
no. 4.

> yoDtargh

charghwI'

Back to archive top level