tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 25 23:11:17 1994

Re: KLBC: Translation practice

According to Ron Whittle:

>   While reading to my son, and idea came to me.  Here is the
> beginning of my translation project.  Let me know if I'm doing this
> correctly.

The translation problem here is that the English text was
written less for meaning than for sound. The rhymes and rhythms
are what make the text interesting for English readers, young
or young at heart.

To write a similar text that was far looser in connection with
the meaning of the English, but far closer with the sense of
repeating sounds would be a major challenge, but would also
probably come closer to the spirit of the original text.

> bIQHa'DIbaH - fish
>

> -------
>
> bIQHa'DIbaH wa'
> bIQHa'DIbaH cha'
> bIQHa'DIbaH Doq
> bIQHa'DIbaH SuD

I think the original says, "One fish, two fish, red fish, blue
fish." By placing this long word {bIQHa'DIbaH} in the same
place in every line, you are accomplishing my suggestion of
making the sounds alike for every line, but recognize that you
are saying "Fish #1, fish #2, red fish, blue fish."

My idea of being closer to the spirit of the original would be
to say something like:

bIQHa'DIbaH qab
bIQHa'DIbaH QaQ
bIQHa'DIbaH Sagh
bIQHa'DIbaH tlhaQ

See? It is more difficult because finding rhyming adjectival
verbs can be a real bear. I have a LITTLE help because, when I
typed my own dictionary into my word processor (Word for
Windows is Wonderful), I created my own "be *" section. All the
verbs with meanings beginning with "be..." are in the same
place. Nick goes a step farther to create a rhyming dictionary.
You might create a small word list of "be" words that rhyme.

> bIQHa'DIbaH qIj
> bIQHa'DIbaH SuD
> bIQHa'DIbaH qan
> bIQHa'DIbaH Qup

Same comments as above.

> ghaj Hov mach
> ghaj {car} mach
> toH
> law' bIQHa'DIbaH

"The small star has it."
"The small car has it."
"So"
"There are many fish."

I guess I don't know the original well enough to understand
what is going on here.

> HIja'
> Doqbe' Hoch
> SuDbe' Hoch
> qanbe' Hoch
> Qupbe' Hoch
>
> -----
> That's it for now.  I don't like the last four lines, but couldn't
> figure out how to say 'some'.

Most of the time, we use {puS} for "some".

> ---
> Ron Whittle                       [email protected]
> Ogden Government Services

Does this help?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level