tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 08:47:23 1994

Re: chay' tlhIngan Hol boghojta' tlhIH

> How did people teach themselves tlhIngan Hol?  I am trying to figure out
> the best way.  Personally, I taught myself the basics of the grammer and
> vocabulary using 'flash cards' to summarise the grammar (because of the
> [va] organisation of the second version of TKD).  Once I had the basics,
> I have been using TKD to reference stuff, but I'm having trouble
> assimilating the vocabulary, and learning to translate complex
> sentences.  I presume practice is the best thing - ie. trying phrases
> out and letting the 'vultures' descend on my poor grammer?
>
> I'd be interested to know how the 'great knowledgeable ones' became so
> expert.
> --
> {qSeroHS vayn}

Well, I am hardly one of the "great, knowledgeable ones", but let me see
if anything I have to say is of any help.

Yes, practice is the *best* way to learn.  This is why we have the
KLBC... and it ISN'T just for beginners, you know!  It's just that most
of the more advance users are too busy debating fine points of grammar to
send anything there... unfortunately.  (and yes, I am just as much to
blam in this, as I haven't sent anything in there since *I* was the
Beginner's Grammarian...)

One thing I like to recommend is just to memorize the suffixes.  This
makes translation easier.  Once you do that... yIqeq!!!

Try to translate everything you can off the list... and of course, post
in Hol...

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]

Back to archive top level