tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 22 23:23:03 1994

Re: chay' tlhIngan Hol boghojta' tlhIH

[I seem to have lost the true header for this quote]

>> How did people teach themselves tlhIngan Hol?  I am trying to figure out
>> the best way.  Personally, I taught myself the basics of the grammer and
>> vocabulary using 'flash cards' to summarise the grammar (because of the
>> [va] organisation of the second version of TKD).  Once I had the basics,
>> I have been using TKD to reference stuff, but I'm having trouble
>> assimilating the vocabulary, and learning to translate complex
>> sentences.  I presume practice is the best thing - ie. trying phrases
>> out and letting the 'vultures' descend on my poor grammer?
>>
>> I'd be interested to know how the 'great knowledgeable ones' became so
>> expert.
>> --
>> {qSeroHS vayn}

More and more I'm discovering that something I did helped me more than I
expected.  I typed in all the words from TKD into a a little pocket
electronic organizer, so I could look words up with it.  I'm amazed at how
much it's helped my vocabulary (which already was pretty good, I have to
admit).  Often I'll remember that there's a word for some concept, and then
have to look it up, but that's well above not even knowing where to look or
that it's available to be looked up.  It may be extreme, but try
writing/typing out the dictionary if you want to build vocabulary.

For grammar, the best thing I can think of is reading the phraselist in TKD
and listening carefully to all the Klingon spoken in the tapes.  There's
nothing like having some sample sentences in your brain to make
sentence-structure and conjugations slide off your tongue.  Make up
sentences and memorize them; I tend to learn things very well and quickly
when I hear them or consider them as sound/speech.  Maybe that'll help.

~mark

Back to archive top level