tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 01:20:15 1994

Re: KBTP: Term for Bible

On Fri, 19 Aug 1994, Joel Anderson wrote:

>  > As much as I like my own suggestion of paq'a', I must admit that Mark's
>  > suggestion of lalDanpaq has me thinking.  Both are ambiguous in their own
>  > way, but lalDanpaq is a bit more descriptive.  I'll have to think about
>  > it.
>
> I don't like it - because lalDan isn't the only thing it is about.
> Plus, "paq'a'" can be used generically, as we do when we talk about
> "the Macintosh Bible" and such... does that mean "The Macintosh
> Religion Book" (not that some MacWeeniees aren't ... oops.... I won't
> open THAT can of gharghmey) or "the Big Book of Macintosh"?

Well, I would tend to disagree.  A broad definition of "religion" would
just about cover everything in the Bible.  And even if it is not about
religion, it is used by religions for religious purposes.

>  > I do not like joH'a' paq'a', since the Bible is about more than just
>  > God.
>
> Well - yes.  But lacking a term for holy (chev?) calling it Lord's
> book seemed like an appropriate analog.  The Bible is called "God's
> word" without being all about God.

While I would agree that "God's word" is an appropriate appelative in
English, it does make a theological judgment.  I would prefer that the
KBTP remain as theological neutral as possible, at least when it comes to
translation.  I would prefer, therefore, a less loaded term.

>  > The phrase would be grammatically happier if it was <lay'ghach ngo'> and
>  > <lay'ghach chu'>.
>
> Oh. Yeah.

Where is the replacement proverb?  And while you at it, don't forget to
add a replacement proverb to make up for not adding a replacement proverb
the first time.

Kevin A. Wilson                                [email protected]

                    "Give beer to the despairing
                     and wine to the bitter of heart;
                     let them drink and forget their poverty
                     and remember their trouble no more."