tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 00:57:14 1994

Re: KBTP: Term for Bible

"Stephanie Chase (DV 1995)" [ AKA Kevin Wilson ]writes:

 > > 	paq'a'
 > >    and
 > > 	joH'a' paq'a'

 > As much as I like my own suggestion of paq'a', I must admit that Mark's
 > suggestion of lalDanpaq has me thinking.  Both are ambiguous in their own
 > way, but lalDanpaq is a bit more descriptive.  I'll have to think about
 > it.

I don't like it - because lalDan isn't the only thing it is about.
Plus, "paq'a'" can be used generically, as we do when we talk about
"the Macintosh Bible" and such... does that mean "The Macintosh
Religion Book" (not that some MacWeeniees aren't ... oops.... I won't
open THAT can of gharghmey) or "the Big Book of Macintosh"?

 > I do not like joH'a' paq'a', since the Bible is about more than just
 > God.

Well - yes.  But lacking a term for holy (chev?) calling it Lord's
book seemed like an appropriate analog.  The Bible is called "God's
word" without being all about God.

 > The phrase would be grammatically happier if it was <lay'ghach ngo'> and
 > <lay'ghach chu'>.

Oh. Yeah.

     [email protected] | Apertus Technologies | GEnie:j.anderson71
      *mumuSHa' yeSuS, Dochvam vISov * muja'mo' joH'a' paq'a' *

Back to archive top level