tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 17 09:43:23 1994

Re: KLBC: Re: Run Like Hell

> >From: "HoD trI'Qal" <[email protected]>
> >Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 21:26:41 -0400 (EDT)
>
> >   bIqettaHvIS ghe''or yIDa
> >   "While you are running, Act in the manner of hell"
>
> I should point out that however clever your recasting, it still won't make
> sense.  It's too idiomatic.  Act like hell while running?  Tell me, how
> does one act like the underworld?  Why would one want to?  Do you lie still
> and let horrible things happen in/on you?  If so, how do you do that while
> running?  I suppose the deeper meaning of the line is "run as though the
> horrors of hell were chasing you," and you could probably translate
> *that*... but then again, who said ghe''or has horrible nasty demons?  All
> we know is it's where the dishonored go.  Maybe it's like a big stocks
> where all you can hear are jeers.  "Hell" is a very western-centric
> concept.  "Run like hell" doesn't translate into most *terran* languages;
> it should translate into Klingon?
>
> So the best suggestion for translating this phrase is: don't.  Translate
> the *MEANING*.  The meaning is something like "yIqetqu'" or "yIqet jay'".
> Come on.  This is Klingon, not coded English.

Consider me chastised.  I know better.

<insert replacement proverb here, as I am tired of using HIvqa' veqlargh,
and don't ahve any of the others with me/memorized yet>

I liked the latter version.  I should have thought of it, seeing as I
love to use <jay'> so much.  Frack.

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]

Back to archive top level