tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 08 00:19:06 1994

Scrabble (A proposal for the system)

Over the weekend, I looked over the game of scrabble and did some research
into the way the letter distribution was determined for the original game.
Following that logic, I have a proposed distribution for the tiles listed at
the end of this message.  Before I present it let me give a few
qualifications about the distribution.

1.  I assumed that you would want to keep the total number of tiles at 100
as in the basic set.

2.  The total available points (sum of all the tiles) is the same as in the
basic set (187).

3.  I did not follow either the word list or text list distributions in
thier entirity.  I sort of used both lists and compared them.  The biggest
discripancies were over the vowels and the guttoral stop (').  As in the
basic game I assumed that the ' is used mainly (though not exclusively) in
suffixes and I reduced the number of ' as was done in the basic game with
the letter S.

Here is the distribution in standard scrabble and the proposed distribution:
Letter  Number  Value         Letter   Number  Value
'	6	1		A  	9	1
a	12	1		B  	2	3
b	2	3		C  	2	3
ch	2	4		D  	4	2
D	3	2		E  	12	1
e	8	1		F  	2	4
gh	3	2		G  	3	2
H	6	1		H  	2	4
I	8	1		I  	9	1
j	3	2		J  	1	8
l	4	2		K  	1	5
m	3	1		L  	4	1
n	2	4		M  	2	3
ng	1	10		N  	6	1
o	8	1		O  	8	1
p	2	4		P  	2	3
q	2	3		Q  	1	10
Q	1	8		R  	6	1
r	2	3		S  	4	1
S	3	2		T  	6	1
t	3	3		U  	4	1
tlh	1	10		V  	2	4
u	6	1		W  	2	4
v	3	1		X  	1	8
w	2	4		Y  	2	4
y	2	4		Z  	1	10
blank	2	0		blank	2	0

If four of you all would like to play test this distribution, I will act as
a moderator for the game.  The trick is knowing where the double and triple
word and letter squares are.  If you have a board and would like to play
E-mail me privately and we'll get started.
              ____
             |INRI|
             |    |           Matt Whiteacre
             |    |           [email protected]