tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 10 01:52:22 1994

Re: Translated Phrase

According to Niall Hosking:

> I've been having fun working on a translation of the phrase:
>
> 'Die with your teeth in your enemy's throat and your name on his
> tongue.'...
>
> biHeghvIS jaghlI' HughDaq Ho'Du'lIj yIlan 'ej jatDajDaq ponglij yIlan

You've obviously worked hard on this. That effort (and fun)
should be respected. There are several ways to approach this,
and no one of them would be so right that everything else would
be wrong.

I see it as a blessing, and so {-jaj} comes immediately to
mind, and that changes everything. I also tend to prefer to
make action statements instead of noun-centric statements.
While the original sounds very Klingon in its gruffness, the
language tends to favor talking about what you are doing
instead of where you are doing it. My suggestion:

jaghlI' Hugh DachoptaHvIS 'ej ponglIj pongtaHvIS ghach
batlh bIHeghjaj!

"While you bite your enemy's throat and while he calls your
name, may you die with honor!"

I stretched things a little to use {'ej} as a conjunction
between two DEPENDENT clauses. I may be wrong on that one, but
leaving it out felt even worse. I'd be open to other opinions
on this. Holtej? ~mark? Krankor? trI'Qal? Guido#1? Nick? (I'm
sure I'll catch flaq for leaving somebody out...)

charghwI'

Back to archive top level