tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 08:05:27 1994

Re: Translated Phrase

charghwI'vo':
> According to Niall Hosking:
> >
> > I've been having fun working on a translation of the phrase:
> >
> > 'Die with your teeth in your enemy's throat and your name on his
> > tongue.'...
> >
> > biHeghvIS jaghlI' HughDaq Ho'Du'lIj yIlan 'ej jatDajDaq ponglij yIlan

[deletia]
> jaghlI' Hugh DachoptaHvIS 'ej ponglIj pongtaHvIS ghach
> batlh bIHeghjaj!
>
> "While you bite your enemy's throat and while he calls your
> name, may you die with honor!"
>
> I stretched things a little to use {'ej} as a conjunction
> between two DEPENDENT clauses. I may be wrong on that one, but
> leaving it out felt even worse. I'd be open to other opinions
> on this. Holtej? ~mark? Krankor? trI'Qal? Guido#1? Nick? (I'm
> sure I'll catch flaq for leaving somebody out...)

Once, I didn't like the idea of putting <'ej> between two dependent
clauses, but now I prefer it, if they are both meant to apply to the same
situation.  Otherwise, I will try to parse the first clasue as applying
to the time of the second... if that makes sense.

Now, I tend to think of <'ej> as meaning "joining two verbs which are not
involved in a noun-phrase".  (I.e., not verbs which end with -wI',
-ghach, or -bogh).

Just my opinion, though.

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]

Back to archive top level