tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 10 01:23:08 1994

Re: no applause, just throw money

Guido,

While I may give you a hard time when your ego expands to fill
more space than is provided for it, I also wish to reiterate
that you really are among friends here. You have been
repeatedly insightful and you have respect for that. *I*
certainly respect you for that.

You've gone from "God, it's great being me!" to avoiding
uppercase for the first person singular. Budha says, "Seek the
middle way..."

> >charghwI'vo':
>
> >Guido, welcome back. I've missed your insight. Meanwhile, this
> >time, when I looked into TKD to find the evidence supporting
> >your argument, I found instead language that suggests that you
> >are going overboard with very little substance behind you.
>
> >So lighten up a little, okay?
>
> ok. i'm sorry, guys. really i am. i don't know what came over me. i must've
> had one of those mt.dew highs. i felt the same way as i did in paris after
> they spiked my cola, or so i thought.

It's okay. We still like You.

> ok. fine. i'm just saying that Klingons don't like to be redundant. at least
> the Klingons i know.

I concur that I agree that most Klingons and persons with
ridged foreheads generally and usually prefer and choose to
avoid repeated and redundant expressions and statements.
{{:)>

> look, guys. today i've been scratched eight times by my
> girlfriendqoq...

Sounds fun. Does she have a sister?

> ...while
> her friends were treating me like dirt.

So, did you kill any of them?

> plus just to rub it in.. oh never
> mind. you don't care.

I dunno about that. Maybe you should invite them into a MUSH
where we can gang up on them and ASCII them to within an inch
of their lives...

> anyways, i really don't know who wrote all this stuff.
> it wasn't me. it was some twisted fiendish alternate personality of mine
> which developed as a result of that one morbid little incident i experienced
> in my infancy involving a veg-o-matic...

Cool.

> >...You are among friends here and we are not all
> >children who do not know the language as well as you do.
>
> i never said that. if anyone was being childish it was ME, that silly ol'
> guido person. ok.

qay'be'. DaH chu' 'oH DaHjaj'e'.

> let me struggle to clarify my views. i wish for everyone to
> write Klingon naturally. the whole anti{-Daq} business came from
> GlenProechel, in whose InterstellarLanguageSchool Primer Textbook he stated
> that {ghoS} is always intransitive. he said this in a book for teaching the
> language, for cryin out loud. it got me riled up. i apologize.

Any time you wish to express frustration with Glen Proechel,
you are quite likely to find a lot of empathy on this list. IMO
Glen is misguided. He wishes to transform his imperfect skill
at speaking Klingon into personal profit and a vehicle for the
proselytizm of Christianity. He's a proselytute. {{:)> He is
wrong about {ghoS}, wrong about the free use of verbs as nouns
any time you want to, and wrong about expanding the terms for
members of one's extended family. I'm sure he is right about
things from time to time, but his track record is of limited
success for grammatical insight. Meanwhile, he is a terrific
publicist. He got us on the front page of the Wall Street
Journal, and he brought about the first physical meeting of a
number of the most significant contributors to the advancement
of the Klingon language.

While I never went to the Red Falls camp, without it, David
Barron would probably never have gotten up the nerve to attempt
his ill-fated seminar in Boise, and without THAT attempt,
Lawrence would not have gotten his act together with such
impressive expediency to have created the qep'a' at the Philly
Phling, which was profoundly rewarding for the dozen or so
Klingonists who attended. So, indirectly, Glen is a pretty cool
dude, even if he is creating his own useless dialect...

> whoa. thanQ for putting me in my place. all joking aside, i have one helluva
> inferiority complex. i despise egotism and that i just had some sort of case
> where i was high off my own self or something crazy like that makes me feel
> even lower than i normally do.

Excuse me for being a redundent Klingon, but let me point out
that you do have friends here. I feel as driven to give you a
hard time for selling yourself short as I did to give you a
reality check. This is just the other side of reality check.
You are not dirt. You are not God. You are somewhere in
between. That may be confusing, sometimes, but hey, that's life.

> i think i'll just slink away for a few days
> here. now charghwI', being the true proud Klingon that he most certainly is,
> will probably jump all over my sorry self for being such a HemHa'wI'.

Good prediction.

> don't
> mind me. i may be smart, but i have yet to figger out just where the hell my
> place is in the world. i thought it was here, but...

You have A place here. You do not have THE place here and you
do not have NO place here. You have A place here. It is YOUR
place, and nobody else can quite fill it. bIyaj'a'?

> guido*..

charghwI'

Back to archive top level