tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 13 22:00:18 1994

Re: KLBC: Grammar question

     Okay, so what is REALLY wrong with:

          chaq jIyInmeH DaHjaj QaQ

     "Perhaps, for the purpose that I live, today is good."

     I would expect this to be the best casting of "Perhaps today is a good
day to live," given that Klingon has no infinitives. Actually, given the
setting in the show from which this English sentence came, there is a
definite sense that they are speaking of the group of four friends, so:

          chaq mayInmeH DaHjaj QaQ

     I really do not think this violates the purposes of the {-meH} suffix.
We are not stating that the act of living has a purpose. We are stating that
the day has a purpose, and that purpose is toward the action of us living.
The {-meH} suffix assigns the debt of purpose on the main verb/clause, not
the verb to which it is attached.

     I would similarly say, "This is a good place to meet," as:

               maghommeH naDev QaQ

charghwI'

Back to archive top level