tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 13 15:42:34 1994

KLBC: Grammar question

yI'Ij!  "KLBC: Grammar question" Bill Willmerdinger jatlhchu'pu' Uucp
 Uu> From: trI'Qal <ur-valhalla!opus.mco.edu!DOBELBOWER>

 >chaq yInmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'
 >
 >Perhaps =today= is a good day for living.
 >
 >This would make the old "Today is a good day to die" quote:
 >
 >HeghmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'

 Uu> I don't know if anyone who responded to this post (whatever happened
 Uu> to the  week's grace period I asked for, folks????  This was dated the
 Uu> 6th...)  actaully answered the question or not, but here goes...

Of course they did.  Am I allowed to be just a =little= confused?  :-)

 Uu> Looks fine to me.  I only would have added something to <HeghmeH> to
 Uu> give it a
 Uu> subject/object, even if it were something like <Heghlu'meH>.  Hm.  On
 Uu> second  thought, after skimming the section on -lu' in the KD, I am not
 Uu> certain that  you can use -lu' this way... I sense a debate on the use
 Uu> of -lu' coming up.  {{:(

I thought of using the -lu' suffix, but I avoid it unless I'm *sure* I know
what I'm saying with it.  I was (and still am) unsure if using -meH is
appropriate.  Guido thinks no, Krankor thinks yes, and Bill wonders what to
think.

What *I* was wondering was if I needed a verb prefix on yInmeH and HeghmeH.

 >... bISuvtaHvIS bIHeghjaj

 Uu> Heh.  I like it.  'ej SoH je!

qatlho'.  I was one of the originators of some truly horrendous Hol taglines
that I posted on Fidonet KLINGON and Dave Barron (I think) posted here.  Many
were done before I ever heard of the KLI, so I have *some* excuse.  I'm trying
to update them as I learn more (I'm taking David's postal course now).

Qob

... qoH vuvbe' SuS - qeylIS

Back to archive top level