tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 28 20:40:21 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] How do we know what -Ha' means? (Was: Re: ramwI'mey)

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Qov, jatlh:
> A discussion about a misunderstood word (attached below) has led to a
> question about how we know what -Ha' means. I don't remember having
> had much trouble with it in context, or people unable to understand
> my usage. Do we just use context and canon? I'll pick some random
> verbs and you tell me what your tlhIngan Hol Duj tells you they mean.
> Qagh pagh lagh pagh Dap? I'll give my impressions in another e-mail
> so as not to prejudice your choices.

maj. DujwIj vIchIj ghIq Qochchugh vuDmeymaj maja'chuqlaH.

taH:
> nenHa'

"be immature"

> cha'Ha'

"cover up, put away, remove from view"

> SevHa'

"release (an enemy)", or "fail to contain (an enemy)" depending on context

> wuDHa'

"stop snoring"

> tlhIvHa'

"resubmit to a superior's authority after having been insubordinate; fall
in line"

> jeghHa'

"surrender inappropriately"

> 'IqHa'

"be too few"

> pumHa'

This makes me think of Mary Poppins - you know the scene where she and
the Banks children are doing the cleaning up? If an object fell from a
place and she snapped her fingers to make it go back where it came from,
then the object pumHa's. I can't really think of a situation where I'd
realistically use it, though.

> HeSHa'

"commit a crime badly or ineptly"

QeS 'utlh