tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 28 14:13:54 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] ramwI'mey

Qov ([email protected])

At 13:37 28/02/2012, Steven Boozer wrote:

Qov:
> I don't think it would be wrong to say ...
>
> De'wI'wIj vIlaghtaHvIS bong vIlaghHa'. DaH vagh leQmey vIjomqa'laHbe'.

"While disassembling my computer I accidentally mis-disassembled it. Now I cannot re-install five switches."

Exactly my problem. Do' leQ bIng vI'uylaHtaH.

I'm guessing you're saying that you made a mistake whilst taking your computer apart (and now you have 5 extra switches you don't know what to do with) using the "do wrongly" meaning of {-Ha'}.

Yeah they're on my dresser. I can't tell if they are broken, or I'm just missing the right wiggle to get them back into place.

 But can't this be collapsed to:

  bong De'wI'wIj vIlaghHa'.

I would read that (without further context) as "I accidentally put my computer back together" (Like I wasn't supposed to, for some reason).

I at first understood the "undo" meaning. I took *{laghHa'} to mean put back together or reassemble something you had previously taken apart.

I find it hard to interpret laghHa' as other than assemble, hence the verbiage to try and force you to understand {vIlaghHa'} as {vIlaghtaHvIS jIQagh}

(Flashback to the time I had to field strip an M-16 rifle and then put it back together again in front of three Marine DI's while in Navy Officer Candidate School. Fortunately I managed to do it eventually even though I'm generally mechanically inept; at least, I wasn't the last to finish!)

majQa'.

- Qov