tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 15 09:54:35 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' wa'maH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
>> jatlhlaH nIvqu'wI'pu' neH 'ej...
>>You know only the top of the line models can even talk and...

Felix:
> I don't envy you the task of translating "top of the line models".
> However, maybe something like {chovnatlh le'} ("special specimen")?

We have a new noun {ghantoH} "model, example, pattern" (MO > 'ISqu' [1/15/2012]), but this may not be right since IIRC this was a couple of crewmen making racist comments about Klingons:

  Maltz is assuming this refers to something one copies
  or refers to in making things - or something along
  those lines." ['ISqu']

There's also {Segh} "race (type, sort, class)" used twice WRT groups of people:

  batlh tlhIngan Segh yIHub
  Defend the Klingon race with honor. (ST5 notes)

  Hem tlhIngan Segh 'ej maHemtaH 'e' wIHech
  Klingons are a proud race, and we intend to go on
  being proud. TKW

(N.B. {Segh} is not the same as "species", which is {mut}.)

{Segh} is also used WRT classes of ships:

  Segh: bI'rel tlharghDuj
  Model: B'rel Scout (KBoP)

You might use {yagh} "organism", {Dep} "being (nonhumanoid)" or {yoq} "humanoid" to render the contempt.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons