tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 11 08:39:26 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' wa'maH

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

> [1] - Do we have canon for Azetbur?
I was certain it was 'atlhetbur, but I can't actually find a source for that. Possibly a HolQeD, or somebody's transcription of ST6 dialogue.
I also can't find ghorqon, all of a sudden. Or Kurn.
Seems very likely that all of these were given in a HolQeD article that's not in klingonska.org's archive (which is my main source), or something.

> [2] - We have all kinds of Klingon words for military ranks and positions... which one is "Chief of Staff"?

Possibly boQDu' ("aide-de-camp"). Perhaps he calls Chang his QI' boQDu'wI'? vIq boQDu'wI'? veS boQDu'wI'? vaj boQDu'wI'?
That could also be a description for Kerla, though.

> CHANG: reH qaghom vIneH, HoD.

Consider {qaghom reH vIneH} and {qaghom reH 'e' vIneH} (or maybe {qaqIH reH vIneH}?). After all, he's always wanted to meet him; he doesn't want to always meet him.
[I think Marc is often inconsistent with this, though, so Klingons probably just assume the most natural interpretation.]

> KIRK: lugh... lurghvam ghoS.  loQ maleng 'e' botIvbej.

I think "Right" would be better translated as {jIyaj}, or even {lu'}/{luq}.

> jatlhlaH nIvqu'wI'pu' neH 'ej...
>You know only the top of the line models can even talk and...

I don't envy you the task of translating "top of the line models".
However, maybe something like {chovnatlh le'} ("special specimen")?