tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 02 13:55:50 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] qungmey bommey je

Qov ([email protected])

Somehow the same chromosome that carries an affinity for the Klingon language compels one to nitpick. I tried but couldn't not say ...

{Sor Hap} tree's flesh - wood

"Tree matter." Hap is matter. Ha'DIbaH is flesh.

{nevDagh DeSqIvDu'} - a /nevdagh's/ "elbows" (note the body part plural)
- aka "handles"

Why not just use {naQ} "stick"? "With a stick, dear Henry..."

How do you mend a hole in a bucket with a stick? In my version it's straw that she advises. Not that that makes a lot more sense, but I always imagined a kinds of thatched adobe patch.

For those unfamiliar with the folk song, it's a circular dialogue, with apparently different versions. Omitting the repetitions and vocatives it's:

There's a hole in the bucket
Then fix it.
With what shall I fix it?
With straw.
The straw is too long.
Then cut it.
With what shall I cut it?
A knife.
The knife is too dull.
Then sharpen it.
With what shall I sharpen it?
A stone.
The stone is too dry.
Then wet it.
With what shall I wet it?
With water.
With what shall I fetch it?
A bucket.
There's a hole in the bucket.

It's actually not a bad project at all for a beginner, in part thanks to the repetition and lack of rhyme. I'd say focus on grammar first, and then use the freedom given by the many variations of the lyrics to try to get the meter to work. And if you then memorize the corrected song to sing you have yourself a nice little chunk of grammar and vocabulary you won't forget.

- Qov